• question-icon

What causes pain in neck radiating to arm along with sleeplessness?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: hello- could you please review my imaging of my neck? I have increasing right sided neck pain that radiates to the tricep region of my right arm and the tip of my right thumb is numb at times. I am right handed, however my hand muscles are visibly smaller yet I do not have carpal tunnel syndrome. My right arm is weak and aches like a toothache type pain that nothing relieves it. When the providers see me, they don't seem to think that my imaging shows anything major for surgery. My sleep is interrupted and I wake up with my arm completely numb even though I am taking steroids. Every few weeks I have to get a toradol injection to help with breakthrough pain. I am not on anything other than Baclofen as needed. I have a history of crohn's disease and chronic degenerative changes on my imaging that I have done literally everything in the book including botox, facet injections, accupuncture, PT, traction, etc... you name it, I've done it.
Could there be something causing pressure on my nerves that supply my upper and lower body? I now have right sided facial swelling, with a "spock eyebrow" and almost a right sided droop, new onset of right sided hearing loss, and right sided vocal cord weakness with occasional trouble swallowing and choking. I am concerned that something is compressing important nerves and that the visible changes to my face and my right arm weakness with not return to baseline without some type of surgical correction. What are we missing? thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please upload your MRI CD.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.

I understand your concerns and of course,I shall review your imaging study.
Please upload your MRI CD on google drive and share the link here in the follow-up question,so that I can download the same and review it for any abnormalities.

I shall be glad to have you in follow up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 1 hour later
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzdEWpAJXasCbFlmSEN5eUhzVWM

Please let me know if you have any troubles.
thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Imaging studies do not show anything significant.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for being in follow-up with MRI.

I have gone extensively through all the MRI segments,which you have uploaded including brain and cervical spine.

However,I am afraid to say that there is nothing significant enough to cause the symptoms you are having. Though your statement "I now have right sided facial swelling, with a "spock eyebrow" and almost a right sided droop, new onset of right sided hearing loss, and right sided vocal cord weakness with occasional trouble swallowing and choking" was hinting that there might be something abnormal with brainstem or cranial nerves,but they seem to be normal on MRI.

Though there are degenerative spine changes,particularly seen in cervical spine with disc bulges at c5,c6.c7 but there is no significant compressive effect.Your symptoms are not explainable on the basis of these imaging studies.

I am of the opinion that you should get yourself thoroughly examined by a neurologist in person.That is likely to facilitate the diagnosis.

Hope that helps.If you have some further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist