question-icon

What causes pain in neck near the glands?

Posted on Wed, 19 Mar 2014
Question: so I've been experiencing pain in my neck all day near my glands and now every time I turn my head either direction I hear a pop ...I do pop my neck from time to time to alleviate aches but now I'm worried that I've damaged something
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal (50 minutes later)
Brief Answer: Take anti-inflammatory drug + muscle relaxant Detailed Answer: Hi young lady, Thanks for your query. You are apparently suffering from a general condition called Cervicalgia, the most possible causes of which- in your case- are either, spasm (tightening) of the neck muscles/tendons; or, bulged disc of the neck spine. Rest to the neck muscles/tendons by anti-inflammatory drugs, such as Ibuprofen, and a muscle relaxant, such as, Chlorzoxazone; and, hot compresses should give you substantial relief. Also, MRI/CT scan of the neck spine should be done to rule out/detect bulged disc or narrowing of vertebral canal. Presence of either of these conditions will require orthopedic specialist's consultation, who will brief you of the best course of action. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Take care, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Dr. Rakesh Karanwal