What causes pain in neck and ear?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: IVE BEEN HAVING PAIN IN THE LEFT SIDE OF MY NECK UNDER MY EAR AND TRAVELS UP INTO BASE OF SKULL. I CAN FEEL MY NECK ACTUALLY CREAKING WHEN I MOVE MY HEAD IN A CIRCULAR MOTION. I CAN PINCH OFF MY NOSE AND BLOW AND MY LEFT EAR ALWAYS POPS AND FEELS A LITTLE BETTER. ALSO BEEN EXPERIENCING PRESSURE HEADACHES AT THE SAME PLACE. I DON'T FEEL ANY LUMPS OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT, BUT HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH THIS OVER A YEAR.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probably middle ear infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your query and understand your concerns.

It is probably infection,or blockage of the middle ear and/mastoid air cells that is causing your symptoms.

Smoke probably aggravates the symptoms because of the mucosa being hypersensitive due to inflammation.

It is necessary to get examined by an ENT Doctor in order to confirm, or exclude this possibility.

Another possible explanation in your case is occipital neuralgia, or compression of upper cervical nerve(s) that supply back side of the head.

If infection of middle ear is confirmed, antibiotics and antiinflammatory drugs are needed to improve your condition.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar