What causes pain in metacarpals near fingers?

Excellent

Question
I HAVE PAIN IN MY METACARPALS NEAR MY FINGERS-- ONLY THERE-- NOT THE CENTER OF MY PALM OR WRIST. IT IS WORSE AT NIGHT. kIND OF SHARP PAINS BUT THEN GOES AWAY. iT IS TOTALLY NEAR THE BASE OF MY FINGERS ON THE PALM SIDE.
Posted Sun, 17 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
NERVE CONDUCTION STUDY WILL BE DIAGNOSTIC.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Madam,

I have carefully read your query and understand your concern to and would like to address the same.
Based on your description, this pain may be suggestive of "CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME". Here compression of median nerve at the level of wrist leads to pain as described by you.

The possibility of two endocrinal /metabolic disturbances namely DIABETES MELLITUS and HYPOTHYROIDISM associated with carpal tunnel syndrome is very high.

Hence I strongly recommend you to get screened for these two disorders by blood tests namely complete thyroid profile(T3,T4,TSH) and blood sugar(fasting and post prandial values plus glycated hemoglobin Hb1ac).

Pertaining to joints,xrays of both hands including wrist in both AP(antero-posterior) and lateral views will be helpful.

Specific tests like Nerve conduction study -NCS,will help to assess the degree of nerve injury to a large extent.

The control of pain relief can be brought with drugs like Pregabalin 75mg twice a day along with steroids like Hydrocortisone.

You can consult your doctor regarding these medications.

I wish and hope this info will be quite useful and convincing to you.
Kindly rate my answer as a means of your valuable feedback.

Wish you a good health ,
Thank you,