What causes pain in lower ribs?

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Diabetes
Question: I am a type 2 diabetic on meds ( controlled ) and have been experiencing some pain off and on my left side around the area of my lower ribs. It doesn't matter if my glucose is high or low and if I take injectable insulin or not. It is sore to push on the area. But it is not constant. I am not in the ethnic racial group to have type 2 just over weight.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chest pain

Detailed Answer:
From the way you are describing it, seems to be of "musculoskeletal' origin ie either skin, cartilage, muscle or bone in that area is the likely cause.

However, given the fact that you have diabetes, it is important to rule out a heart condition. So definitely I would recommend a cardiac work up to ensure this is not acutely worrisome.

Once a heart problem is ruled out, then it would be worthwhile doing an Xray to see if there is a fracture of the rib in that spot.

Actos has been reported to raise the risk of fractures of the forearm bones in women after menopause.
Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 30 minutes later
RO chest pain. Normal sinus rhythm . Was recently in hospital with eye issue and they took an ekg and it was normal.
Pain ( more soreness than pain) is lower, no broken bones, either. Area of spleen. But do not have any related symptoms to anything. Not a muscle pull either.

Any other ideas? I have gone through all the medical information books I have and it does not fit any of them.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
It is difficult to come up with a list of diagnostic possibilities without actually examining the area.
Skin and cartilage problems present themselves in various ways. Uncommonly diabetes related nerve pain can occur. I understand your diabetes is well controlled though