What causes pain in lower left back?

Dr. Mukesh Chugh

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello!!! I am a 64 year old female. About a week ago right after I got out of bed that morning, I was feeling a little "stove up." I slightly leaned over the sink and had a pain go through my lower left back right above where the small of my back is but to the left. It felt like it went all the way through me. It was just that once and I was fine the rest of the day. The next day I felt sore on my left side and the next day even sorer. It has not gotten any worse, but not improved either. I am taking 3 Advil, three times daily. It helps, but continues to feel "catchy and sore" when the med wears off. I once had a muscular/skeletal inflammation and it feels like that did. Would like your opinion, please
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Muscle relaxant drugs will help

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query carefully and it seems you have developed muscle stiffness (spasm) of lower back. Please tell me do you have difficulty in bending forward or looking backward? Pain going from back to lower limbs?
My suggestion for you would be-
1. Hot water fomentation and local analgesic gel application.
2. Take muscle relaxant drugs like Thiocolchicoside along with advil.As Thiocolchicoside is prescription only, you may have to contact your local doctor.

Hope this helps and I shall be glad to answer any further query.

Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 1 hour later
Bending forward does not hurt, however, twisting to the left or right does. No pain going to lower limbs. It is not sore to the touch, but deep when I turn. I do have Flexeril 10 mg which is a muscle relaxant. Should I take it along with the Advil? Thank you very much!!!
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes you may take Flexiril

Detailed Answer:
Hello
It's good to see you
After going through the whole discussion the suffering you are going through is because of muscle spasm. Muscle relaxant drugs along with hot water fomentation works well.Hence, you may take tablet.flexiril it will work.
Physiotherapy also helps.
If you have further query please do not hesitate or you may please close the discussion.