What causes pain in lower left abdomen radiating to groin and inner thighs?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hi, I've got pain in lower left stomach which seems to be spreading to groin and top of leg (inner thigh). I went for an ultra sound and was told its not a hernia. I've had the pain for about 3 months now but it seems to keep gradually getting worse. I do alot of exercise, like long distance running and boxing but both are now too painful to do. I am due to go away to south XXXXXXX in 3 weeks for 3 weeks so a bit concerned
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Adductor muscles tendons inflammation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such symptoms can be caused by urinary tract infection, testis inflammation or adductor muscles inflammation.

Urinary tract problems usually give frequent urinating and burning while urinating along with the pain.
Testis inflammation should give testicular pain.

As you do perform lots of exercises, adductor muscles inflammation seems to be the most probable reason. Especially if the pain gets worse when performing exercises, and is less intense when resting.

I suggest you to consult orthopedist with this issue. You should stop physical activity for some time, use anti-inflammatory medicines, lukewarm compresses and some physical therapy.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 35 minutes later
Thanks for your response.

The main pain started in the lower stomach area and has spread to the groin and now to the inner thigh / abductor. If the problem is inflamation of abductor muscles would that be likely to start off in the stomach? I can only feel it slightly in the inner thigh, but in the stomach I can now feel it when I'm walking - the pain feels similar to the pain of a stitch. If the problem is inflamation of abductor muscles, how would this normally be diagnosed? (I guess the blood tests are unlikely to show up anything)

Thanks

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Abdominal muscles can be affected as well.

Detailed Answer:
It does not have to be just a single adductor muscle. The inflammation can be present in the abdominal muscles as well. This is also quite common.
To diagnose this inflammation, usually physical examination performed by an orthopedist is enough. In some cases muscles ultrasound can be done to confirm it.