What causes pain in lower left abdomen radiating to back?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: i have a lower left pain in my abdomen that spreads around to my back and then i get a little relief after i use the restroom. Any idea what is causing this? I'm a male
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Additional investigations

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate: Male/56 - on blood pressure medicines - colonoscopy negative - lower left pain in abdomen - spreads around your back - get a little relief after using restroom...
Please give some additional information:
- Using restroom: do you mean after passing motion or urine?
- Any factors that increase your problems?
- Since when have you got this problems?
- Any other investigations of stool, urine, blood, X-ray or ultrasonography done? If yes, please post reports.

Since your colonoscopy is negative, it excludes any anatomical reasons like an ulcer or mas in colon that is causing this.
If your pain is relieved by passing a motion, this may be a form of IBS that is irritable bowel syndrome.
If it is relieved by passing urine, this may be related to urinary bladder or so.

I would advise you the investigations mentioned above to get the proper diagnosis and a plan for treatment.

I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to give feedback and ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 23 minutes later
I've had this problem off and on for 3 - 4 months. seems like when I'm stressed it comes back also I have watched my wheat intake and that seemed to help a little too
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If all the investigations are normal, get treated this as IBS

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.
The coming back of the symptoms on stress indicates that this may be due to IBS.
Help by watching the wheat intake may indicate some sort of intolerance.

I would advise you the following:
Consult a Gastroenterologist and get all the relevant investigations done.
If all are negative get treatment for the IBS and you will be fine.
Control of stress and/or anxiety is the key to the success and helps better than any medicines (need a prescription) for the control.