• question-icon

What causes pain in lower back radiating to hip?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have lower back pain that continues into the right hip, and the hip seams to go out from under me more often now whern I have to hold on to things to walk... what could i be looking at?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its most likely to be compression of spinal cord.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic, I share your concern and I will try to help you out in best possible way.
The signs and signs that you have mentioned fits into criteria of nerve compression, leading to pain radiating to hips and also parasthesia of hip joint and surrounding dermatome. In all probability there is compression of spinal cord at lumbo sacral region. Which can be clearly ascertained by clinical examination and investigations like MRI of lumbo-sacral spine.
Hence I recommend you to visit a orthopaedician as early as possible and get evaluated. As treatment of your condition can be planned only after complete clinical evaluation.
Meanwhile you can take tab etoricoxib 90mg twice daily for 3 days to get a temporary relief from pain and avoid lifting weights, climbing stairs and prolonged sitting, as these will precipitate nerve compression.
I hope this helps you
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
Dr. Naveen XXXXXXX
Medical Consultant.
Ebix, Inc.
YYYY@YYYY

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Naveen Kumar