question-icon

What causes pain in lower back and abdomen?

Posted on Thu, 19 May 2016
Question: I have a pain in my right side and lower back...also a slight pain to the right of my belly button...a few nights I have woken up sweating. also been waking up a lot at night using the bathroom ( peeing)

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh (8 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Go in to be examined:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

If you are having flank pain (behind your waist at the side of your back) and possible fevers (which I am thinking you may have because of the sweating), there is the possibility of a kidney problem. A kidney infection can cause flank pain, fevers, and sometimes nausea. This must be treated with an antibiotic. So go in to urgent care, or if you don't have one in your area, then an ER.

They will take a sample of your urine (and also a CBC blood test to look for infection). Your urine should also be sent for a "culture and sensitivity" which finds if there is a bacteria that is causing the problem and tests to see which antibiotic is the most effective.

It's possible it could be other things too: if it is lower right of abdomen, it could be appendicitis, especially if it hurts a lot to walk.

So do go in now so that this can be sorted out. Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh