What causes pain in legs after quitting opiate addiction?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Pain Management
Question: My son is presently on the Suboxone regime for his opiate addiction. He is 7 days clean. Not much but a good beginning. He has been experiencing so much pain in legs and all over his body. Not dope sick but pain so he's all doubled up & not able to work. Someone told him it was because he didn't weine himself off the heroine slowly before starting the suboxone. Is that true? Also what can he to do ease or stop this pain? Should he call his doctor?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
needs management

Detailed Answer:
thank you for asking
when on BMT buprenorphine maintenance therapy pain management is a challenge and opioid analgesics are advised in a titrated dosages for that.
opioid detoxification is a serious business and an addiction medicine specialist is needed here to prevent the with drawal calamities.right now the pain can be alleviated by some opioid analgesics like tramadol and seeking an opinion of an addiction medicine specialist is advised. A constant check of the dosages is advised. The are trying ceiling effect of buprenorphine to combat the effect of heroine. its detoxification process and pain is a collateral damage worth it. hang in there. get some painkillers conventional opioid analgesics and stay in touch with you addiction medicine specialist.
following are some options you can discuss with your addiction medicines specialist.
Continue BMT and titrate a short-acting opioid analgesic to effect.
Divide buprenorphine dose to 6-8 hours to take advantage of its short-acting analgesic properties.
Discontinue BMT, implement opioid analgesia, and restart BMT when opioid analgesia is no longer necessary.
and the one who said stopping heroine suddenly is wrong he is right but he does not know that opioids has not been stopped. just has been replaced with less potent ones. Suboxones.
I hope it helps.Nutshell , conventional analgesia for the pain and call to an addiction medicine specialist for further management.
i hope it helps. take good care of your son and yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.
May the odds be ever in your favour.
Khan