Owl Image

What causes pain in left side of the abdomen?

Owl Image
Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Question
hi which organs lies near my belly button on the left side. I have an on and off going pain . From a scale from 1-10 this lies around a 5-6 at most. its worse when i sit.i dont really feel it when walking. i had this about two month ago but then it just disappeared and now its back. my doctor said it might be constipation or from the heart pills or birth control pills i take. but is this likely. i take procoralan, propranolol and miligest?
any idea what this might be
Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should be investigated.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Pain to the Left side of the abdomen can be mostly due to Ureteric stone.
It will be confirmed by Ultrasound abdomen.
It is not due to constipation.
The drugs that you have mentioned do not cause abdominal pain there.
Please consult your doctor and get an Ultrasound abdomen.
If you come back with Ultrasound report, I will clarify further.
If it is normal, then it could be musculo skeletal pain.
Nothing to worry.
Wish you good health.

Follow-up: What causes pain in left side of the abdomen? 18 minutes later
hi okay but you dont think cancer when its on and off going pain

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
All pains are not due to cancer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
On and off pain is not due to cancer.
Please get an Ultrasound abdomen.
Most of the lesions will be diagnosed with it.
I don't think you have a major problem
Wish you good health.