What causes pain in left side of right knee?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: No swelling but internal pain on left side of right knee. Sometimes pain penetrates through thigh.
Not severe. But its started recently.
I play football(might be a jerk during play or overuse of leg).
Please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Soft tissue injury likely.

Detailed Answer:
Since there is minimal pain on weight bearing and walking, a bone injury is not likely in this case. The mild discomfort and the internal pain that you are feeling is likely to be due to a mild soft tissue injury in the area due to playing.
You can help the improvement by-
1. Avoid any strenuous knee exercises, lifting weights, climbing stairs, cycling, running etc.
2. Take a mild pain killer like acetaminophen every 8 hourly.
3. Do a hot fomentation in the area twice daily.
4. You can apply a local analgesic gel like Volini also.
5. Use an elastic knee brace for better knee support while walking.
Do consult an Orthopedician for a physical examination and stronger prescription medicines in case there is swelling, persistent pain and difficulty in walking. This should heal in 7-10 days with the above said measures.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 minutes later
Thanks for the quick response. yeah It's mild pain , I hope it will cure fast.
When do you want me to start playing back. I play daily 1-2 hour.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
2 weeks at least.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
It will need around 2 weeks to heal if it is a minor injury. Wait at least for 2 weeks and then start playing and exercising gradually. Do not put an excessive strain on your knee.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 minute later
Okay thanks
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcone.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.
I am glad I could help.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards