Brief Answer:Soft tissue injury
Thanks for posting your query.
Since there is minimal pain on weight bearing and walking, a bone injury
is not likely in this case. The mild discomfort and the internal pain that you are feeling is likely to be due to a mild soft tissue injury in the area due to playing.
You can help the improvement by-
1. Avoid any strenuous knee exercises, lifting weights, climbing stairs, cycling, running etc.
2. Take a mild pain killer like acetaminophen
every 8 hourly.
3. Do a hot fomentation in the area twice daily.
4. You can apply a local analgesic
gel like Volini also.
5. Use an elastic knee brace
for better knee support while walking.
Do consult an Orthopedician for a physical examination and stronger prescription medicines in case there is swelling, persistent pain and difficulty in walking. This should heal in 7-10 days with the above said measures.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal