What causes pain in left side of neck and around jaw, face and eye?

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have fibromyalgia. Last year I had a thoracic injection. Later after that I have popping and grinding like tendons sliding over nerves or bone. This is painful, especially after all daylong. Only when I turn my head to the left. When I look down I have a stretching pain to about mid scapula and much more pain when looking up. The pain is in the cerv spine, to the left , left side of neck along jaw to face and around eye. Sometimes it feels as if I have a knife in my eye. The left side of my neck is sensitive to breeze, even the fan at night. But the left side also hurts to lay on it. There are some pinched nerve feelings around my shoulder. The latest ECT showed mod carpal tunnel which I had fixed 4 yrs ago, well not fixed. Is this all fibro or could I benefit from cervical injections, don't want to make it worse.
Could his be thoracic outlet syndrome ? Or what? Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I will advise you to MRI cervical spine.

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.
Due to compression of this nerve root there is pain associated with it around shoulder and face.
I will advise you to MRI cervical spine for better diagnosis.

For these symptoms analgesic and neurotropic medication like pregabalin can be started consulting your doctor.
Till time, avoid lifting weights, Sit with support to back. You can consult physiotherapist for help.
Physiotherapy like ultrasound and interferential therapy will give quick relief.
I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level.

Clinical examination and doppler study will rule out thoracic outlet syndrome.
Yes you may benefit from cervical injection. It may give pain relief for longer time.
Fibromyalgia can not be totally cured, you can only minimise symptoms by taking various medications. You can take amitryptiline and duloxetin consulting you’re treating doctor.

A holistic approach is required, which includes exercises, meditation, SKY [sudarshan XXXXXXX yoga] and acupuncture along with healthy diet and herbs.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.