What causes pain in left side of head and neck?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Fri, 11 Sep 2015 in Back Pain
Question: i have neck and head pain on my left side. It seems that my sinus, on that side, is also involved, shoulder also. the pain in my head is right past my ear and goes from my neck upward. If I massage that area it opens my nasal passage on that side only. The pain gets worse as the day goes on and I have bouts of naseau (?). Sometime I liken it to a migraine in the back of my head. Any suggestion?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Sinusitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

Based on your description, it appears to be a case of sinusitis. Antibiotics e.g amoxicillin clavulanate and nasal decongestants would be the appropriate medication in this case in consult with your doctor.

let me know if you have any query

Wishing you best of health

Tganks
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 9 hours later
I have had sinusitis many times but it never affected my neck or the back of my head. The usual pain, at t hose times, was in the front or under the eye. I have no discharge from my nose. I am just not sure this answer is applicable to me. I will follow up with my Dr..
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

As the headache is unilateral , the main possibilities are sinusitis, migraine headache , cluster headache, tension headache and headache associated with radiculopathy affecting the neck and shoulder muscles. Blood pressure measurements and neurological exam should be done. Based on the findings nerve conduction studies and electromyography can be advised as it involves the neck and shoulder muscles.

A better approach or option would also be to add a muscle relaxant like tizanidine or orphenadrine citrate to the NSAIDs to look for improvement empirically. This would be decided only upon excluding other causes clinically. If the headache occurs more frequently, is associated with a premonition/aura or has classic association with certain triggers e.g chocolate, sun exposure, loud noise etc then migraine abortive and prophylactic medication can be advised. A neurologist would be the ideal referral in this regard.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any query regarding my answer.

I will be more than glad to answer.

Thanks.

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 4 hours later
Thank you. This seems more on the mark. I will seek medical attention for this.
Do you think PT would help?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it would help

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Yes, physiotherapy has proven benefit. It will lessen the need for NSAIDs which are nephrotoxic and can lead to G.I ulceration. Neck and shoulder strengthening exercises can also be done under guidance. Deep breathing meditation and yoga are alternatives that can also be of benefit.

Thanks