What causes pain in left side of abdomen radiating around the back?

Question
I have a dull ache on the left side of my abdomen and radiates around the back. I can't eat a full meal because I feel full fast. I have a lot of gas, burping. Sometimes my chest feels like a burning sensation; maybe heartburn. It seems like I need to cough up something and the ache would go away. My leg muscles feel weak. I am a bit lethargic.
Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
GIT condition; needs investigating ma'am

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.

Your symptoms clearly indicate the presence of a gastrointestinal (GIT) condition ma'am. Let me list some of the most likely conditions that can cause such a presentation similar to yours, they are:
-Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD): Symptoms like heartburn, difficulty swallowing, sensation of something stuck in throat, chest pain, regurgitation of food, dry cough or irritant throat, hoarseness of voice, sore throat, etc.
-Gastritis: Symptoms like abdominal pain, vomiting, indigestion, nausea, abdominal bloating, burning or discomfort that is either relieved by meals or increased by it, hiccups, etc.
-Peptic ulcer disease: Symptoms like nausea, vomiting, weight loss, abdominal pain, abdominal bloating, loss of appetite, heartburn, pain or discomfort increased or relied by meal, etc.
-Acid reflux (due to various conditions like a poor lower oesophageal sphincter, bar rots oesophagus, etc.)
and a few others.

As you can see ma'am, many of the symptoms listed above can be related to those experienced by you, which is why I would recommend a doctors visit and also suggest a few investigations to find the exact cause (diagnosis) and accordingly treat it. They are:
-Complete blood count
-Esophageal pH monitoring
-Endoscopy
-Manometry
and a few others that might be recommended by your doctor after examination. Please go ahead with these as the establishment of a diagnosis is mandatory to help you rapidly and effectively ma'am.

I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: What causes pain in left side of abdomen radiating around the back? 1 hour later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX for your analysis. I was scheduled to have an endoscopy today but I ended up not following through due to intense fear that I might feel the scope down my throat. I am going to be scheduled for an upper GI series. Do you think that procedure would be helpful in determining a diagnosis? I will ask my PCP to do a complete blood count. I regret not having the endoscopy today but my fear got the best if me and I couldn't reason very well.
Thank you.
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry, I am sure you can do it

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again XXXXXXX ma'am.

I understand, it happens. But please know that you will most probably not feel much, the little that you feel will only feel like you are swallowing something. It is of course difficult to picture a pipe being put down your throat, but it is not as difficult as it sounds ma'am.

I am sure you are strong enough to go through it. And think about how life will improve a great fold once we can accurately diagnose and treat your condition thanks to the endoscopy.

Do not worry and keep in touch with me as I am always available to help ma'am. My best wishes are always with you.

God bless.