What causes pain in left side inspite of having pleomorphic adenoma of salivary gland?

Dr. K. Harish

Oncologist, Surgical

Posted on Sat, 28 Jun 2014 in Lump
Question: iam 33 year old.three years back i was diagnosied with pleomorphic adenoma of salivary gland in the left side .but it is benign. last year i went for ct scan. it was found to be same.but nowadays i feel a pain in my left part.and tumour has grown in large.iam afraid whether it has changed to malignant. please clarify my doubt.
Answered by Dr. K. Harish 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Less likely

Detailed Answer:
Pleomorphic adenoma is a very common tumor of the salivary gland and I presume it is from the left parotid gland from your description.

It is advisable to get it operated. These tumors are known to recur if incompletely excised and rarely can undergo a malignant change. The larger the tumor becomes, more difficult it would be to operate, sparing the nerve.

Since it has grown larger, it is better to get it operated. There would be NO definite way to clarify on malignancy other than the pathology after surgical excision. Pain is NOT a symptom definite of malignancy. However, if you develop weakness of facial muscles, then it could suggest some malignant change.

But again, it would be advisable to undergo surgical resection before any such change is perceived.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. K. Harish 17 minutes later
can u plz suggest any hospital best for this treatment. iam staying XXXXXXX sir.
Answered by Dr. K. Harish 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hospital

Detailed Answer:
You could probably go to the Cancer Institute at Adyar or the Apollo speciality hospitals