What causes pain in left shoulder?

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I've been experiencing moderate pain in my left shoulder upon awakening. It also hurts to pull a shirt over my head. No history of trauma to shoulder. The pain has been for about two weeks. Seems to subside during the day.

This morning my spouse noticed a large lump (size: 4 cm long by 1 cm wide) just below or attached to (?) collarbone and close to the sternum. It seems to be semi-solid and I don't think it moves. Not painful to touch per se. I am assuming it may be causing the pain which is experienced in the shoulder joint.

I am 60, female, healthy, active. No major medical issues. Thoughts?
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes,lump at collar bone could be the cause

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
The collar bone, scapula and Humerus (arm bone), they together form the shoulder joint. Hence any disease affecting the involved bone may lead to pain and restriction of shoulder movement.
The lump could be because of Inflammation at junction of clavicle and sternum? It requires physical examination of shoulder to confirm the cause.
My advice would be -
1. Ice fomentation along with Ibuprofen, trypsin/chymotrypsin to reduce pain and swelling with rest to shoulder movement.
2. Xray of the affected area and send the picture of lump in your reply if possible.
Looking forward to your reply.

Follow-up: What causes pain in left shoulder? 24 hours later
I will get an xray. I recalled that I did have a fall off my horse three months ago - fell while jumping and landed on my lower back, same side as shoulder (lateral to spine), around the kidney area. Also hit my head (helmet on). No direct pain in shoulder but perhaps it had an impact? Could that have showed up three months later?

Pain is increasing daily.

I will send a picture; where do I send it via mail? I am using an Iphone.
Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
You may upload the picture at our website

Detailed Answer:
Hello
It’s good to see you
After going through the whole discussion and your reply, the pain in shoulder region could be because of-
1. Frozen shoulder/adhesive capsulitis.
2. Sternoclavicular arthritis that is pain because of lump.
It is unusual for shoulder injury to have symptoms after 3 months.
You may upload the x-ray while writing your reply at our website.