• question-icon

What causes pain in left eye post scleral buckling surgery?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: After 6 years post-op still having chronic pain in eye after scalar buckle surgery. Eye doctor removed the buckle but still have pain. I have seen numerous specialists to no avail. Surely I am not the only person that has experienced this! Still in search of relief... is there anyone that can help?
Man with pain
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 42 hours later
Brief Answer:
6 years back scleral buckling was done still causing problems?

Detailed Answer:
Your history is incomplete and not clear. It is presumed that you had retinal detachment.
What is your present problem and present status of retina?
What is your visual status?
Have you excluded diabetes and high BP?
Any history of trauma?
Post detachment what was the visual status?
A retina specialist has to examine and asses retinal health.
Is there any possibility of laser surgery?
What was the need of removing buckling?
Have you consulted the surgeon who has performed the surgery earlier? You need his opinion to for further treatment.
For future action all clarifications asked are necessary for taking the next decision, so kindly reply with your answers.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 5 hours later
Present problem is there has been pain in the left eye since the buckle procedure was done 6 years ago. Original doctor removed the buckle to try to relieve the pain but it did not. The retina is attached and I have relative good vision with glasses. It is difficult to focus to read because it causes more discomfort. The original doctor referred me to Duke Eye Hospital for second opinion. They examined and confirmed there is not a problem with the retina, it is attached. Gave treatment of oral steroids and also steroid injections....neither helped. I went to Johns XXXXXXX Eye Institute to no avail. Received Trigeminal Glyceral Rhizolysis at XXXXXXX Neurosurgical Asso. in an attempt to relieve the pain....it did not help. My overall health is good, no high blood pressure or diabetes. I just have this constant pain in and around the orbit of the left eye!
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Result of sceral buckling for retinal detachment is good.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Present problem is ophthalmoplegia. you have already started steroid and have taken itravetrial steroid.I think it will not help you in relieving pain. one good thing is your retina is attached.every thing possible has been done to give you relief from pain. You should have tried analgesic like nasids,it could have been hifenac p. visual status is more then satisfactory. You must have taken intra ocular lens.

with this accommodation is not possible.you will have fixed vision. You have to adjust the distance of reading material as per requirement. can have multi focal specs to be used for desired distance.can consult pain management clinic for advise.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 8 minutes later
analgesic like nasids,it could have been hifenac p.

What is this, I don't understand.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
recomanded hifenac p as a nasid as painkiller.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back Dear,

It's a non steroidal analgesic. It is Aceclofenac combined with Paracetamol. Drugs are recommended based on practical experience of doctor.

In my opinion it will give you relief from pain. You can take the drug and see the result in due course.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash

Ophthalmologist