What causes pain in left eye after wearing new glasses?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Yes, thank you. I don't know what to do: I have had a cornea scratch about 8 years ago. I have severe dry eye. I use serum tears. I had a check up with cornea specialist & his team. They said I should get glasses of 2.00, 2.50 for left eye. I got that prescription, but the left eye (with old cornea issue) HURTS with this glasses; I can feel the eye contracting when I use the glasses. I have been wearing very cheap glasses 2.75 or 3.00 that are sort of ok, better than the prscription glasses that I paid $300 for. What should I do & what to wear since new glases hurt.
So I've been to the cornea specialist twice. Once to get the glasses. Then to get the glasses & prescription re-checked. I wonder if Medicare would cover another visit by somebody else or how do get glasses that feel good - that don't make my eye hurt from feeling the contraction. due to severe sensitivity to light, the eye glass store did tint the glasses very,very dark; then I gook it back & they made it less dark. Don't know what to do. There is an optometrist at eye glass store that I have not tried yet. Tnx so much for the advice. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Glasses

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
You have to continue with the dry eye treatment. As far as the glasses go the dictum we use is that the taste of pudding is in eating it.You can use a glass in store for 10 mts and if you are not having any strain then continue using it.Problem with a +3 glass may be a certain amount of magnification which may be there as we are going in for some overcorrection.This in few patients may lead to eye strain.
If 10 mt reading with a 3.00 glass is ok then purchase it.
Please do get back to us in case of any further query in this regard.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina