What causes pain in left buttocks on the bone and back?

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: No more than 3 weeks ago I had an extreme pain in my left buttocks, deep felt to the bone! Felt broken! Never experienced this before. The pain may have extended up to my kidney area but after taking acetaminophen it eased and after several days disappeared. I don't know if an insect bite on my left side mid of back the week prior had any connection. I write now because for about a week my elderly mother who lives at home with me, has been suffering the same pain but is worse for her. She has also been totally constipated for a week and can only urinate. She suffered a broken hip in a fall about 10 months ago and does not walk without a walker and sits a great deal. She has mentioned a lower back pain that comes and goes but nothing like this. Her injury was fully healed. Could I have passed a virus to her from my insect bite? I worry about cauda equina syndrome as some symptoms are similar, what can you suggest?

I forgot to mention we live in the Northeast U.S.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
infectious etiology must need to be ruled out at first..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX, Welcome to HCM,

I've gone through your query in details and understand your concern,

First of all, I appreciate your observation regarding Cauda Equina Syndrome as it's definitely a suspicion, but before that we need to rule out other infectious etiologies i.e. tick borne illness like Lyme's etc.

As you know, Northeast U.S. does have a significant proportion of cases reported every year due to tick born illness, and some of those symptoms specially after the suspected insect bite, does arise the concern in this regard..

It get's even suspicious when you've described that your mom's started suffering from the same type of pain related symptoms too..

Please let me know if either one of you have any flu like symptoms, fever, sore throat etc. recently ..

Also it'll be really helpful if you can please take a snapshot of the insect bite area in the back /affected hip region and upload it here at the reports section so that I can take a closer look at it..

You're already taking adequate dosage of Tylenol so I don't want to advice any further pain killers (please take the Tylenol only after food, and don't take it more than 4 times a day 6 hr apart), also try to remain well hydrated by drinking a lot of water(2.5 - 3 ltr per day)..

Since it's more of a chronic constipation, fiber rich food won't be too helpful in this regard.. I'd advice to try P.C. Enema for a complete bowel evacuation for her, appetite will be regained after the bowel evacuation..afterwards you can give her Syp Lactulose 10-15 ml at bedtime for maintenance of soft consistency of the stool..

I'd further suggest you to please schedule an appointment with an Infectious disease specialist for a thorough clinical examination and some relevant investigations in this regard (Hemogram, electrolytes, Renal function test with urine routine microscopy, liver function test, ESR, CRP, USG whole abdomen with special focus on Kidney, Ureter and Bladder to rule out any underlying stone and some more based on the clinical findings)..

Let me know if your having any further queries, I'll be glad to clarify further..

Please let me know how stay in the due course..

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee