• question-icon

What causes pain in larynx and chest while breathing?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Elderly Problems
Question: When I woke up this morning I couldn't take a deep breath without major pain just below my XXXXXXX apple and above my chest plate.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be a problem with Cervical Spine..Needs evaluation by Orthopedist!

Detailed Answer:
I warmly Welcome you!

Thanks for the consult and trust in HCM. I have carefully worked through your case and can well realize your health worries.

It is really a painful morning and I feel sorry for the discomfort. There is a dire need for an evaluation by an Orthopedist who is the personnel trained to screen the causes for this pain.

There are many possibilities that your physician will screen and rule out after careful physical examination and assessment, and some diagnostics including an MRI of the Cervical spine.

Probable causes may be:-
Sprain and strain that is damage to the muscles and joints of the neck. Tendon, and ligaments wear and tear may also be involved. These are all age related changes and common in cervical area. Cervical Spondylitis is a term used here to describe these issues.

Subacute thyroiditis is a painful condition of thyroid gland infection causin same symptoms as you felt. It is not so common though.

Muscular spasm is also a cause. It is noteworthy to see which Bed cushion was used that night. High pillows also cause neck stiffness that is painful on the neck muscles when getting up in morning.

Rheumatoid Arthritis, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Fibromyalgia, Osteoporosis are some other diseases that cause pain and discomfort in neck.

Lymph nodal swelling due to infection of the base/floor of mouth may also present the same way as you felt.

Your Physician will need to rule out all causes of infection, tumor of the throat etc.

Hope it helps. Please feel free to contact me anytime directly from my profile if you need further assistance.

Regards!
DR.HANIF

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Muhammad Hanif