What causes pain in knee and elbow joints along with back pain?

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Mon, 16 Feb 2015 in Arthritis
Question: I am 54 years old...been very active most of my life, but I do struggle with my weight...in the past few years I have been experiencing joint pain in knees, elbow, hands and shoulder...lower back pain and also in my shoulders and neck. I think it is just my joint(have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my knees) but then it also affects my muscles. It seems to travel and I cannot pinpoint a moment where I hurt myself or did something that would explain the pain. I swim a lot and also do aqua yoga and tone and stretch in the pool. That does help but it is driving me crazy trying to figure out what is wrong with my body...I don't even know if that helps or not, but I am pretty frustrated and do not know how to proceed at this point

I am taking calcium and multi vitamin(for years) and also mega red krill oil...that did seem to help for a while. I also have some digestive(IBS) for years but that has settled down with a change in diet as well. At the moment I have quite serious pain in my shoulder and shoulder blade and up my neck. I have tried icing and heat...both help for a bit. I go to a chiropractor pretty regularly and also get massage once a month or so. both help a bit but then it flares up again
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Will need investigations further.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well, looking into your problem, I would like to tell you that you haven't mentioned any history of swelling in any joint although pain is present in many joints.

To qualify for arthritis, its very important to have swelling, but still I would like to know some investigations, if they had been done earlier namely RF, Anti CCP antibody, ESR, ANA. Please send me all the investigations that have been done earlier as that will help me in understanding your clinical situation better and we will be able to help you out in best possible way.

Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari