What causes pain in joint, ankles, knees and fluid in leg?

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi my husband has been sick of an on with flu like symptoms for 4 weeks
Joint pain in ankles and knees ! He is 51 had physical 6 weeks ago all blood work was good . Went to primary yeaterday was put on anybodic to start treating if it is lumens disease . He can barely walk both ankles in severe pain to the touch not really swollen now both knees also are in the same pain!
He was inner 3 weeks ago for swollen knees and fluid in leg to mid calf was told bursitis of knee
Ultrasound was done from hip to calf no blood clot
Was put on 2 medicines improved then went into ankles 5-6 days later now all lower extremity joints severe pain fever chills sweats flu like symptoms . Looks worse is it possible this meningitis
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lyme's disease is a possibility

Detailed Answer:
Welcome To HCM. I am Dr Anshul Varshney. I understand your concern.
With the current symptoms and the Chronicity of symptoms only two things come to my mind:
1. Lyme's disease.
2. Connective tissue disorder.
In such case my advice would be to go for further testing.
Since he has already been initiated on antibiotics considering Lyme's, he would need workup for Connective tissue disorders like Rheumatoid arthritis.
Following tests as baseline line should be performed:
1. Complete blood count.
2. ESR
3. R factor.
4. Liver and Kidney function test.
5. Thyroid profile.
So get these investigations done and write back to me with reports.
If you have any further query, please ask me.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina