What causes pain in hip post partial hip surgery?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Spouse had partial hip surgery where they replaced the ball 5 years ago. She is bed ridden due brain tumors, but this is a leg hip question. when transferring her 5 days ago, we thought she pulled something, but problem is not going away. when I lift her leg, while bending her knee there is no pain. no pain sitting still. if I lift her leg from her heel, with no knee bend, she has extreme pain as soon as I lift it. Probably have Ambulance take her to ER tomorrow for ex rays, but wanted to see if this is related to hip, muscle, femur? extreme pain when we tried to get her into her in wheel chair, so we put her right pack to bed .
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
where is the pain?

Detailed Answer:

you haven't clarified the location of the pain. Is it the back of her thigh? Is it her back? The biceps femoris and the back muscles are under tension when lifting the straight leg. A displaced intervertebral disc may also cause pain by compressing the nerve roots on their way out of the spinal canal.

I'll be glad to comment more, when you provide the details.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 3 minutes later
Its her hip /thigh area. Not her back at all.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I don't see any connection to her hip prosthesis

Detailed Answer:
I don't believe it's related to her hip prosthesis but checking it would be useful, particularly since she's having hip pain. It's not easy - of course - to gather the necessary clinical details without examining a patient. The doctor tries to detect the painful tissue during clinical examination by trying palpation and passive (mostly) moves of the extremities. Your description does not ring any bells to me besides what I've already mentioned.

If there are any more details, it might be helpful to know.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Thankd
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
You're welcome!

Detailed Answer:
Glad to help. I hope the prosthesis is OK, because it would be a major problem if it's not.

Best wishes!