What causes pain in hip after sitting for long hours?

Question
Hopefully you can. After 5 days in Vegas, (no drinking or partying) but a lot of sitting on high school gym bleachers watching my son play bball, I suddenly have severe pain on the right side of my hip/buttock area. I can barely walk and the pain is getting worse. It feels like something is being pinched. I also rode in the back seat of a Ford Mustang and strained myself each time I got in/out of the car. Can't imagine where this pain is coming from, but it's intense. My pain threshold is usually pretty high, but not this time.
Posted Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pyriformis Syndrome / Sciatica

Detailed Answer:

This kind of description I often hear from my mid aged patients who sit for long hours and have gradual onset buttock pain. This worsens as the activity increases. This pain will subside on its own after 24 to 48 hours of complete no activity.

You can pop in a pain killer available over the counter with Ibuprofen or Naproxen in it when going gets difficult, otherwise I advise just rest on firm bed.

Do get back to me if you have anyother ideas about the pain that you have. We can discuss.