What causes pain in gums?

Dr. Sowbhagya

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Posted on Thu, 19 Jun 2014 in Dental Health
Question: I have pain in my gums since last month, I have started using sensodyne toothpaste but its not working as expected. It is more painful when I take ice cream. I have gastric stomach is this gum pain is somehow related to it? I don't have yellow teeth but I have some white/yellow cavity in my front teethes from last few years, may be its somehow related to that.
Answered by Dr. Sowbhagya 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
hypersensitivity,yellow stains,

Detailed Answer:

Sensitivity of teeth is due abraded teeth surfaces which is called dentin hypersensitivity. You can use sensolin tooth paste,it has shown better results than sensodyne. You should also regularly massage the gum area with pulp of your fingers.

Gum pain could be because of calculus deposits resulting in alveolar bone loss. Hence you require intra oral radiographs to check for alveolar bone level. Check with your dentist about it. Besides that yellow cavity could be due to calculus deposits or it could also be due extrinsic stains like caffeine or nicotine stains.

Gastric problems is may or may not produce gum pains. You can however get that treated with antacids and proton pump inhibitors. Your physician will know about it.

In a nut shell, you need consultation with periodontist for your gum problems as you try sensolin and gum massages and also with general physician for gastric problems.

Hope it helps.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sowbhagya 2 hours later
How to get rid of calculus deposits? any toothpaste for the same.

I take sufficient amount of calcium from milk and eggs daily isn't it help in alveolar bone loss? Do I need to take some other supplements like "Vitamin D" for alveolar bone recovery?
Answered by Dr. Sowbhagya 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
deep scaling , bone grafting

Detailed Answer:
hello thanks for follow up ..for calculus removal you have to undergo several steps to control and prevent further process,
firstly deep cleaning which includes scaling and root planing,,following which medical line of treatment is required to control your inflammation of gums..such as antibiotics and mouth rinses..next is surgical phase such as surgical therapy which includes flap surgery and bone grafting.
Bone grafting, in which natural or synthetic bone is placed in the area of bone loss, it can help promote bone growth.
for prevention of calculus formation, you have to keep your oral hygiene good, by brushing with tooth paste (flouridated ) in a correct way ..and massage the area with the pulp of your fingers,, Floss regularly to remove plaque from between teeth..avoid smoking if you have the habit,,
Calcium from milk, egg, and vitamin d, all these help in general bone health and not for alveolar bone health,
you have to consult a periodontist for a check up and treatment..hope it helps,,take care..

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj