What causes pain in groin area radiating to leg and hip?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have pain in my groin area that sometimes radiates down my leg and around to my hip. The pain is constant, but bearable while sitting, as long as my leg is hanging down. Walking is very painful. My doctor said it was bursitis and to take Motrin and that was it, but the pain is getting worse. It has been about a month that this is going on.
Posted Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Osteoarthritis of the hip joint

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Thanks for your question.

Your symptoms are consistent with osteoarthritis of your hip joint. You should have X-rays of your hip joint.

While you cannot reverse the effects of osteoarthritis, early nonsurgical treatment may help you avoid a lot of pain and disability and slow progression of the disease. Surgery can help you if your condition is already severe.

Nonsurgical Treatment
If you have early stages of osteoarthritis of the hip, the first treatment may be:

Rest your hip from overuse
Follow a physical therapy program of gentle, regular exercise like swimming, water aerobics or cycling to keep your joint functioning and improve its strength and range of motion
Use nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen for pain
Get enough sleep each night
You may need to lose weight if you are overweight. As the disease progresses, you may need to use a cane in the hand opposite to the affected hip.

Surgical Treatment
If you have later stages of osteoarthritis, your hip joint hurts when you rest at night, and/or your hip is severely deformed, your doctor may recommend total hip replacement surgery (arthroplasty).

You will get a two-piece ball and socket replacement for your hip joint. This will cure your pain and improve your ability to walk. You may need crutches or a walker for a while after surgery.

Rehabilitation is important to restore the flexibility in the hip and work your muscles back into shape.

I hope this answers your question.

Best wishes

Follow-up: What causes pain in groin area radiating to leg and hip? 7 days later
What is the difference between regular arthritis and osteoarthritis?

Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Difference explained

Detailed Answer:
hi thanks for your follow up question,

there are many types of arthritis, inflammatory arthritis such as rheumatoid or psoriatic, septic arthritis - secondary to a bacterial infection in a joint, reactive arthritis secondary to a viral infection, arthritis secondary to trauma to a joint.

osteoarthritis is a wear and tear type of arthritis although there likely is a hereditary contribution. this is by far the most common type.

I hope this answers your question.

best wishes