What causes pain in forehead after bumping of head?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2015
Jun 2015

Question
Is pain in the upper left forehead meaningful. It's hard to tell if its on the surface or inside. I do remember bumping my head in that area yesterday, but it subsided quickly and I hadn't been bothered further until early this morning.
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Analgesics+ice compression; CT scan required

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXX,

Mild pain in forehead after bumping of head, in absence of any other symptoms like vomiting, giddiness, loss of consciousness, etc. is not considered significant.
Symptomatic relief can be obtained with intake of analgesic preparations (like paracetamol), ice compression and adequate rest.

However, keeping your age (89 yrs) in consideration, even minor injury can cause the rupture of small blood vessels in the brain, resulting in accumulation of blood (Hematoma) and persistent headache.
Presence of persisting eye pain (Left> Right) can be attributed to increased intra-cranial pressure, secondary to the blood accumulation.
This needs to be ruled out with the help of a CT scan of brain.

So, if your symptoms still persist, it will be advisable to consult a Neurologist and get a CT scan done.

Wishing you a good health.