• question-icon

What causes pain in eyes and runny nose after eye injury?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: My husband got hit in the eye. He is complaining of a lot of pain and he suddenly has a running nose. What can he do. Also the eye is sensitive to light
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
corneal abrasion is the most common eye injury

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is possible that he may have a corneal abrasion.

The cornea is the transparent cover over the eye , it has different functions.
Corneal abrasion is the most common eye injury and refers to a scratch of the cornea.

It can vary in severity but is often a cause of pain and sensitivity to light (photophobia).
Runny nose can also occur in some persons as well

In most cases, it heals well with no problems if treated as soon as possible.
If untreated then it can lead to problems such as an ulcer formation in the cornea

Symptoms that complications may be present include: feeling of a foreign body in the eye, redness of the eye, decreased vision, increasing pain, swelling, discharge of the eye

Treatment normally involves : (1) topical antibiotics to the eye to prevent infection of the cornea or treat an infection if present. In minor abrasions, may not be prescribed.
(2)topical drops to reduce pain and inflammation
(3)ice compresses can help to reduce pain and swelling of the eye. Used for 24 to 48 hours.
A warm compress is used after this point
(4)oral pain killers can also be used if needed

It would be best for him to see his doctor for assessment to determine the severity and to start any appropriate treatment

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James