What causes pain in elbows when coughing?

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Thu, 26 Mar 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I've had a cold the last few days. This morning when I woke up I coughed and my right elbow hurt, all the way down to my hand. Now everytime I cough there is pain in my elbow
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be muscle strain

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case and I think yo are having muscle strain in elbow. It can be a transient nerve stretching also. But before I advised you any thing I want to know litle detail about your illness.
1. Pain is in elbow only or whole hand?
2. Are you also havinf tingling and numbness also?
3. Do you haveany pain during rest also?
Please send me answers of these questions. I will try my best to help you.
thanks
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 9 minutes later
Simultaneously when I cough there is a tingleing and numbness that starts in my right elbow and goes to my hand. This only happens when I cough, there is no pain when I don't cough. This has only been happening for about 1 hr. I just want to make sure this isn't serious. Should it go away on its own ?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be early sign of cervical spondylitis

Detailed Answer:
I hope that it is a transient nerve stretching in elbow and will improve in two to three days.
If it stays further than there is chances of cervical spondyltis. In this condition there is nerve compression in the neck and when you cough pressure over nerve causes tingling and numbness from elbow to hand. You need to see a doctor in that situation. It can be confirmed with x ray of the neck.
For prevention
1.you should avoid keeping neck in same position for long time like watching computer.
2.Avoid using very high pillow.
3.Tablet Pregabalin M in night may help.
I hope this answer will be helpful for you. Let me know if there is any other followup questions.
thanks