What causes pain in chest and rib cage area while coughing?
Lung hernia is very very uncommon.
Thanks for your question on HCM.
I can understand your situation and problem.
By your history and description, in my opinion you are mostly having musculoskeletal pain.
Excessive coughing can cause muscular exertion and flat ribs can be bruised while violent coughing. So possibility of musculoskeletal pain due to violent coughing is more rather than lung hernia.
Lung hernia is very very rare condition.
But better to get done chest x ray to rule out any internal damage. If chest x ray is normal then no need to worry for lung hernia or other major things. This is musculoskeletal pain only.
Try to follow these steps for better symptomatic relief.
1. Avoid heavyweight lifting and strenuous exercise.
2. Avoid bad postures in sleep and painful movements.
3. Start painkiller and muscle relaxant drugs.
4. Apply warm water pad on affected site.
5. Also start cough suppressants.
Hope I have solved your query.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes terrible cough and pain under my rib cage
- What causes tenderness and pain below my rib cage
- Recurring pain in the rib cage cause
- What causes pain under the right rib cage
- What causes pain below the rib cage
- What causes breathing problems and pain under my rib cage
- What could cause swelling and pain in the rib cage
- What causes shallow constant pain in lower rib cage
- What causes headache and pain under my rib cage
- Causes of pain on right rib cage