What causes pain in calf below back of the knee?

Dr. Achuo Ascensius

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I developed calf pain the other day, just a few inches below the back of the knee. I feel the pain most when I either apply pressure to the area or bend my foot upwards (like when I take a step). I did not think much of this as I had done a number of stretches the other day that had left all my leg muscles very sore. However my wife, a nurse, said that maybe it is DVT, as I have been doing a lot of sitting while studying for the Bar exam, however the leg is neither swollen nor red. The pain seems to have lessened a bit since yesterday, as I was limping all day, but it still hurts while most of my other leg soreness has subsided. Should I wait a few more days to see if the pain goes away, or should I get medical care sooner?
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Medical care is usually the best option

Detailed Answer:
thanks for the query

Venous thrombosis is a serious condition that demands concerns. Prolong sitting, obesity, smoking are possible risk factors.

The location of your pain is that of distal DVT which though has less fatal outcomes compared to proximal DVT still can be fatal. Muscle strain is a potent differential diagnosis for DVT and most patients with suspected DVT usually turn out with something else. It is likely that the pain you are experiencing is due to the muscle strain you had while you were doing the stretches and within a few days say 4-7 days depending on the degree of strain, the pain ought to have subsided. Rest and pain killers/anti-inflammatory such as the ibuprofen you are taking will help in this case.

Even though it is more likely that the pain is due to the muscle strain, we can't be that certain. Moreover, given the potential consequences of DVT, it is better to get medical care and be sure its not DVT than to wait and it turns out to be DVT.

Hope this helps. If you have further query, i will be glad to answer.
Best regards
Dr Achuo
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Achuo Ascensius 13 minutes later
Thank you for the response. Is DVT something that can be ruled out by running to one of my neighbor's houses (I have an ER doctor as well as a podiatrist on my block), or would I have to go to a facility with an ultrasound machine?
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Health facility will be better

Detailed Answer:
Thanks once more. The diagnosis of DVT can't be confirmed clinically. So even if you meet the doctor, investigations shall still be needed including a doppler ultrasonography of the lower extremity veins.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further query, i will be please to respond. If you do not have further query, you could close the discussion and rate the answers.

Best regards
Dr Achuo
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D