Owl Image

What causes pain in buttocks?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
For several weeks now I have been experiencing pain, if not cramps, just above the center of my buttocks on both sides. It does not hurt when I sit, but when I stand up, it hurts and is difficult to walk. It hurts more on the right side, and sometimes causes me to stumble, but the pain is bilateral. I don't have pain in my back. I am male, 60, and otherwise in good health. Advil does help.
Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Elderly Problems

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be nerve root compression.

Detailed Answer:
The pain that you have can be related to a nerve root compression in the lower lumbar spine or a muscle spasm.
Since you are having this problem for last several weeks it is best to consult an orthopedician for a direct examination to confirm the diagnosis.
In addition to the pain killers a hot fomentation and application of local analgesic gel will help.
Regular stretching exercises will help in a long term relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal