What causes pain in breast after inserting a chip inside breast?

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 9 Sep 2014 in Lump
Question: Two years ago I had a biopsy of a suspicious area in my left breast. It took them forever to get the right spot and I was compressed in the mammography machine forever. It was very uncomfortable. When the procedure was finished, they inserted a chip/marker. Ever since, I have had electric type shooting pains from time to time in that breast. I started an water aerobics class and swimming laps several months ago. That breast now is tender. I was wondering if my body could reject or have a reaction to that chip and if it should be removed. I think that they damaged a little nerve when they did the biopsy. I feel no lumps. Could the breast tenderness be caused by exercise?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should be investigated.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for posting in health care magic.
As the chip is a foreign body, there might be some reaction to it.So, the breast is tender.
It has no relation to the nerve.
Get an Ultrasound of the affected breast and look for any suspicious lesion.
If it is normal ,then the pain is due to exercise.
Please consult your Surgeon and get an Ultrasound.
If you come back with Ultrasound report, I will clarify further.
Nothing to worry.
If you have any queries, you can post here.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj