Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

What causes pain in both ankles?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1997
Answered : 1619 Questions
Hi, I have a very bad ankle pain on both ankles...had three doctor's consultation but no releif...could not walk properly after a nap or sit for sometime. Did xray, checked uric acid but all OK. This pain is there since from last 5-6 yrs. Help me please...
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Non specific synovitis may be the cause

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your suffering carefully and would like to know about following for better understanding-
1. Status of other joints?
2. Family history of multiple joint pain/Rheumatoid arthritis?
Your symptoms could be because of synovitis that is Inflammation of membrane lining the joint this may be due to specific (Rheumatoid arthritis) or non specific causes. I hope following blood work has been done like serum RA factor, ANA Factor and AntiCCP antibody test. If not done please get them done.
Meanwhile you may take pain killer as usual and please do not lose hope.
Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes pain in both ankles? 17 hours later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I would like to give answer you questions first...

1. No other joint pain i have, only sometims I feel knee pain, which is not as much as ankle pain.

2. No family history of joint pain/Rheumatoid Artharitis.

Doctor...I have so much pain...if anything(smallest) comes under my feet...I'm dead. How many pain killer I can take for this kind of pain and will a pain killer work for it. If any pain killer you can suggest.

The following blood reports are not done yet.

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Blood test are a must;pain killer may help

Detailed Answer:
It's good to see you
After going through the whole discussion,taking pain killer alone is not the solution.We should find the cause of your suffering and treat it accordingly.In this regard beside the blood test mentioned earlier you may have MRI test to have a look inside the joint,this is very informative and helpful test.
Meanwhile you may have pain killer like Tramadol, for this you may have to visit local doctor as it is prescription only drug.
Do come back once you the reports or any other query.
Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor