What causes pain in both ankles?

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Hi, I have a very bad ankle pain on both ankles...had three doctor's consultation but no releif...could not walk properly after a nap or sit for sometime. Did xray, checked uric acid but all OK. This pain is there since from last 5-6 yrs. Help me please...
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Non specific synovitis may be the cause

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your suffering carefully and would like to know about following for better understanding-
1. Status of other joints?
2. Family history of multiple joint pain/Rheumatoid arthritis?
Your symptoms could be because of synovitis that is Inflammation of membrane lining the joint this may be due to specific (Rheumatoid arthritis) or non specific causes. I hope following blood work has been done like serum RA factor, ANA Factor and AntiCCP antibody test. If not done please get them done.
Meanwhile you may take pain killer as usual and please do not lose hope.

Follow-up: What causes pain in both ankles? 17 hours later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I would like to give answer you questions first...

1. No other joint pain i have, only sometims I feel knee pain, which is not as much as ankle pain.

2. No family history of joint pain/Rheumatoid Artharitis.

Doctor...I have so much pain...if anything(smallest) comes under my feet...I'm dead. How many pain killer I can take for this kind of pain and will a pain killer work for it. If any pain killer you can suggest.

The following blood reports are not done yet.

Thanks,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Blood test are a must;pain killer may help

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It's good to see you
After going through the whole discussion,taking pain killer alone is not the solution.We should find the cause of your suffering and treat it accordingly.In this regard beside the blood test mentioned earlier you may have MRI test to have a look inside the joint,this is very informative and helpful test.
Meanwhile you may have pain killer like Tramadol, for this you may have to visit local doctor as it is prescription only drug.
Do come back once you the reports or any other query.