What causes pain in bone where infected teeth has removed?

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Dental Health
Question: i'm very concerned. i had three upper right teeth removed from bad infection 3 weeks ago this monday. Also fibroma removed two weeks ago this wednesday. The fibroma was lazered off. this is not healing well at all. I still have pain in bone where teeth were removed. no fever, but been on clindamycin for 21/2 weeks or more. My understanding is my dentist was an oral surgeon. He owns and is main dentist for cosmetic and family dental business. Ive looked him up on the internet and see nothing about him being an oral surgeon.My understanding he was, when my first appointment was made. Also still have pain in right ear and i know it comes from my teeth. also I have pulled muscle feeling in back of neck and under jaw area. could this be swollen glands from infection. I'm afraid clindamycin 150mg. is keeping it from getting worse, but not healing it. I've addressed this with this dentist and he acts like i'm overly nervous. i don't think so. Why am I not healing. I'm going for ct. scan through E.R if they will do it. Any suggestions thank-you.Also biopsy done, and they say they haven't got results yet. Does it normally take that long. I got my results back from radicle hysterectomy in two weeks. I have appointment this tuesday.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Bony spicule, secondary infection, surgical removal, bone filing

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query, I have gone through your query.
As far as the pain in the bone is concerned i have the following possibilities..
It can be because of the bone spicule that is present at the site of extraction. The other possible cause can be a secondary infection at the site of extraction. Even the swollen lymphnodes and the muscle pain can also occue secondary to the above said conditions.
Nothing to be panic, consult a good oral and maxillofacial surgeon and get it evaluated If it is a bony spicule, it has to be removed under local anesthesia and the bone should be filed. If it a an infection, then you need to take a course of antibiotics. I prefer amoxycillin and metronidazole combination rather than clindamycin (if you are not allergic). Do saline gargling.
Regarding the biopsy report, usually it takes less than a week to get the report. Just ask them the reason for the delay in providing the report.
These are the possible diagnosis and treatment plan based on the description of the problem by yourself. If you can upload the image of the site where you have problem, i can look into it and we can discuss about the exact diagnosis and treatment plan further.
I hope my answer will help you, take care. If any queries are there, reply me back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery