What causes pain in back side of leg?

Dr. Munish Sood

Ayurveda Specialist

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Ayurveda
Question: My back side of leg or back muscle behind /below the knees does pain frequently ,what should I take to or do maintain my health proper
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
need more details

Detailed Answer:
Dear

Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your health concern and following points need further clarifications:

1.Since Pain in the leg more specifically [calf region] as suggested by your history can occur as a result of conditions affecting bones, joints, muscles, tendons, ligaments, blood vessels, nerves, and skin either due to injury or because of a chronic condition, thus let me know whether you suffer from any of the above said two conditions and what was the opinion of orthopedic Specialist [if examination done]?

2 Any associated symptoms like weakness/numbness/or tingling sensation and radiation of pain [if any]?

3. Any associated secondary disease [high cholesterol, high blood pressure, or contributory factor like dehydration, use of drugs, vitamin deficiency [B1/B6/D3]: [which may cause muscle spasm/cramps].

4. Any history of inactivity for long periods, occupation, being overweight, smoking? [symptoms like swelling/redness in legs/ankle]

5. please revert back with your concern/clarifications for Ayurveda Management and Preventive Aspect.

Dr. Munish
Consultant & Physician
Naimittika Clinic

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Munish Sood 14 hours later
It is not much pain full but I feel weak and my Dad was also having the same issue.
Mostly at night during sleep I feel more weak in the legs
I don't have any disease
I do smoke some times and my weight is 74.
Brief Answer:
Nocturnal Cramps/Restless leg syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Dear

Thanks for reverting back

1. some medical conditions like thyroid disease,arterial disease, kidney disorder, multiple sclerosis, diabetes, iron/calcium/potassium/salt deficiency can also cause muscle cramps. Make sure to rule out with suitable investigations and examinations [since there is family history]

2. Since nocturnal cramps frequently leads to insomnia thus mild tranquilizer [medhya rasayan] is also essential part of treatment.

3. Smoking and overweight is/are associated with pain in legs, so avoid smoking and try to reduce weight. [if you think you have put on some excess kilos]

4. Avoid caffeine,nicotine,alcohol standing on hard surface or sitting for long time, stay hydrated [drink plenty of fluids: ORS/Gatorade]

5. alternate hot/cold bath
. use of calcium/magnesium, Vitamin B12 and C.
. turmeric is the best natural steroid
. cut lemon into 2 halves, warm it in sauce pan and foment the area twice daily.
. ras sindoor 250mg
XXXXXXX guggul 1gm.. with dashmool kwatha,thrice daily. OR

. Kaishor guggul 1gm
Sutshekhar ras 500mg.. with milk, twice daily

. Tablet Mentat: 2 tablet [bed time]

. Stretching exercise: Stand upright, raise the body to stand on the toes, lower back to heels. repeat 10-20 times.

PS.
i. Most of the cramps in the legs are due to calcium deficiency, since case is chronic take Vitamin E for long term therapy [400mg twice daily].

Dr. Munish
Naimittika

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju