• question-icon

What causes pain in back of neck?

Posted on Mon, 8 Sep 2014 in Child Health
Question: My 9-year old son has had an ache in the back of his neck (base of the skull and sometimes radiating down to just below the neck) for 6 weeks. Headaches at back of head and sometimes front of head. Neckache worsening over time. Also had a cold the whole time. Started with runny nose developed into a cough. Still has a cough along with post-nasal drip. Nauseous at night several times. Also sore knees, elbows and legs (thigh muscles), and ankles on and off almost daily. (Not a big athlete - so no sports injuries). Has been tested twice for Lyme, Juvenile RA, mono. All negative. Had MRI - brain looks normal. Had X-ray of neck by pediatric orthopedist, all looked normal. Started on amoxycillin last Thursday along with 1 Claritin per day as doctor thought maybe a sinus infection. No improvement yet. Also have had him drinking a lot of water as I thought he was likely also dehydrated. He is no longer nauseous in the evening. I am concerned because it does not seem to be improving. Been to his pediatrician 4 times now, and orthopedist once (no issues found). Thoughts????
Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
may be due to uri

Detailed Answer:
Most common causes of neck pain in your case may be
infections like meningitis, pneumonia, otitis media, tonsillitis, cervical adenitis, retropharyngeal abscess, mumps, and cerebral abscess,
trauma,
ophthalmological conditions such as squint, torticolis due to muscle spasm.
Some rare causes like tumors, calcification of vertebrae are not seems to be there in your case as MRI is normal.
Joint pain and muscle pain may be due to recurrent infection or general weakness.
As you already started on antibiotics , i will suggest you to continue the same treatment as it takes time of 5 to 7 days to recover fully from infection.
If the sinus infections are frequent get the culture done from sinus lavage or throat swab.
Hope i helped you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh

Pediatrician