What causes pain in back and shoulder blades radiating to chest?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have pain that starts in my back and shoulder blades, then radiates to my chest. I can control it by taking pain pills twice a day. My doctor ordered a chest X-Ray and it was normal. This has been going on for two weeks. I cannot sleep on my back, but get some sleep on my left side. I must do this, as I have a urinary stoma and it drains to the left. Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
a muscular strain probably

Detailed Answer:

since there is no bone involvement, it's probably related to muscle strain. In cases like this the main concern is heart related pain but your description does not sound at all like angina. Other potential causes include pleuritis and other pulmonary conditions but they don't sound very likely either.

The most likely cause judging by your description is a muscular strain. In such cases the pain can be accurately localized by palpation. If palpation indicates bone pain then a CT scan can be much more sensitive in detecting bone lesions.

You should visit your doctor for clinical examination, which is very important in order to detect the painful tissue.

I hope you find my comments helfpul!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!