What causes pain in abdomen while taking deep breaths?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in Lump
Question: I have moderate stomach pain at and to the left of my navel. It intensifies when i take a deep breath. Otherwise most of the time I can ignore it.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be a referred pain

Detailed Answer:
Hi. Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
Pain in abdomen on deep breathing alone can be due to some disease in the lungs, pleura, ribs or thoracic spine problem or few organs below diaphragm.
This needs a clinical evaluation, examination of the abdomen, chest and spine by a Doctor and investigations like X-ray chest, spine MRI and ultrasonography of abdomen to get a proper diagnosis and treatment.
I hope this answer helps you early and proper diagnosis and treatment.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina