• question-icon

What causes pain in abdomen below ribs?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Hello. My husband has had some pain on his left side by ribs first thought maybe kidney stone again pain hasn't been constant or anything but tonight as he walked outside he sneezed a hard sneeze and had intense severe pain that finally went away after 5 min but has been constant dull pain since. He just sneezed again and same thing happened it's hard to move to bend over etc... to me sounds like it's affecting his breathing but he says it is not but I can tell something. He took inflammatory and is getting out heating pad now. Any thing you could tell us would be much appreciated. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Supportive care and diet lifestyle changes.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. pain in left side abdomen below ribs worsened by hard sneezing could be chest pain due to lungs pleura and anti inflammatory medications should work. If he has some bad chest, or phlegm in it, lower respiratory tract infections should be suspected.

What makes me think its gastric discomfort is the location of the pain and on and off hypochondriac pain worsened by increased intra abdominal pressure likesneezing and may have an association with meals intake or alcohol or beverages or coffee or binge eating or any other trigger. A pain common in gastric discomfort like gastritis or acid reflux may mimic such pain and in that cause anti inflammatory meds like meloxicam will worsen the pain instead of relieving it, He will need some antacids like pepto and nexium etc for the relief. If the pain still continues, get him evaluated.

I hope it helps. Take good care of him and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 9 hours later
This is more on the side? At first he thought could be kidney stones?? Pain is in the ribs not his stomach it's closer to kidney then stomach??
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need work up to know for sure

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me

With pain involving ribs closer to kidney is right hypochondrium its still the possibility of gastric discomfort as pain can radiate there. Also musculoskeletal pain should be a possibility too. COstochondritis may present this way. Kidney stones may also present this way. Nutshell, there is a ling list of possibilities and need work up to rule out. Right now painkillers which he took already along with some pepto to rule out gastric pain with some rest, fluids intake would suffice with work up to sort out the possible cause as there are many causes that can cause this pain.

I hope it helps.
Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan