What causes pain from back to lower stomach after a back surgery?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My father had a lower back at lumbar region major degenration isssue, he also had one bone protruding and touching the bone got in to sever pain and inability to walk .He couldnt even stand as he would fall off couldnt get up ,we didnt have a choice but to operate as dr told either ways he will have further issues.He is agend 77 .Operation went successful and he got normal with no pain,after 2 days he has got a new pain which starts from back and pain comes towards the front below the stomach line and goes till his anus.This pain is continuing everyday he wa taken to gastro where they confirmed of no issue scan was normal,he has a gall bladder stone but that s not causing any pain.Moment he gets this pain he sits down then he is fine then he tends to pass urine,he is not able to walk for long time,he does even now yogas but unable to figure out cause for this pain which comes intermittently.Dr please advise wht could be the reason/ can this increase as we dont want to do one more operation considering his age.he is otherwise a very active person with no problems at all.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
mild nerve root compression likely.

Detailed Answer:
The pain that he is having is likely to be due to a mild nerve root compression at the level of lower spine or sacrum. Since the pain gets relieved on sitting the nerve compression is posture related. He can consult a neurologist to confirm this.
Such minor symptoms are usually taken care of by Methylcobalamin supplements which he can take after consulting his orthopedician.

Do not lift heavy objects, especially after bending down. Eat a healthy wholesome meal which should satisfy the minerals and proteins requirement.
For this condition he has to do stretching & strengthening exercises in which he has to stretch tight muscles & strengthen weakened ones which will alleviate stress on facet joint and disc. This he can do under the guidance of a physiotherapist.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal