What causes pain during sexual intercourse?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: it hurts when I have sex, whats wrong?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
SWITCH POSITION, USE LUBRICANTS.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Do you have pain everytime you have sex, or only sometimes in particular ?
At times, rough, deep, penetrative sex or sex in certain positions may be more painful.
Also, have you had it since the beginning.
If you are new to sex, the initial few times might hurt more.
IN some women, the cervix is tilted backwards ( retroverted uterus ) , in which case some positions are very painful.
Try avoiding painful positions and have sex in the position most comfortable to you.
Use lubricants.
Have good foreplay, and make sure you are stimulated well.
Take a break between multiple episodes of sex.
Get yourself and your partner screened for all STDs.
If pain is severe and unrelenting in spite of all these measures, please consult a gynaecologist.
You would need to rule out conditions such as endometriosis, fibroids, polyps, foreign bodies, infections, growths on the cervix etc.
This is done by an internal exam - per vaginum and per speculum and a pelvic ultrasound scan.
In addition, a Pap smear and vaginal swab should be taken.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.