What causes pain due to abdominal tightness after a surgery?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 24 May 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have been experiencing a taut band feeling an inch or two below my belly button for approximately three months. I have had ct scan, transvaginal ultrasound, exploratory surgery, umbilical hernia repair, colonoscopy, EDG, and hysteroscopy where they removed a uterine polyp and did a d and c. All have came back normal and I am healing from surgery yet pain persists. My doctors have no explanation for the pain.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please give details and post actual photographs if possible.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history and understood your concerns.

Please give some additional information for me to assist you better:

How much is the area of feeling a taut band? History says the start of the right hip: please give details.
Is there any palpable lump or so?

If Possible, Please upload/attach photographs with a pointer in front and lateral elevation as this may help me better.

What is the type of feeling? Any pain - burning, increasing on just a touch or sliding finger above the affected area?

Any urinary or bowel complaints?

Any problem with the mid-back region? Any history of injury/accident or so?
Any other history?

Awaiting your detailed feedback.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 39 minutes later
The tightness feels as though from hip to hip with no lump. The pain is a pressure feeling beneath the belly button which causes the pain. I have no urinary or bowels complaints. My back is fine and have had no injury to this area.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible fibromyalgia

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.

Since you have already undergone the mentioned investigations and surgery I would think of the following cause as the pain is for three months.
Fibromyalgia of the muscles in this area.

Please give additional information:
Are there any factors that increase the discomfort or pain?
Any factors that help you relieve the pain?

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
I can control pain reclining or lying down. Sitting for long periods of time causes severe pressure in this area. Compression also causes pain.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
As described below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.
This history goes in favor of possible fibromyalgia, please discuss with your Doctor to get an appropriate management. Keep away from stress and anxiety.
Avoid long sitting hours or any position that instigates or enhances the problems.
Sound sleep is required.
On a safer side get an MRI of mid thoracic spine to rule out possible compression.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana