What causes pain, burning sensation and swelling in the neck?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
My wife 29yrs old and she has burning sensation and pain in her left neck and mild swelling is there.we went to general doctor MD and he toLd its looks like fungal infection and adviced some tablet and ointment and she taken for 3 days and did not found much difference.Doctor prescription and skin image Is attached.please check and advice.
Mon, 11 Jun 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need more information

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern and I have viewed the images.

I will keep a possibility of infected eczematous dermatitis. Doesn't look like a fungal infection.
Would like to know the duration of her skin problem?
Is there a history of itching/scratching initially when it started?

Follow-up: What causes pain, burning sensation and swelling in the neck? 1 hour later
This was started 3 days back and she doesn't have any itching and she didn scratch.on the first day she had a burning sensation and second day she experiencing pain with bUrNing sensation.

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Herpes zoster (neck)

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.

On reviewing the image with respect to the morphology and distribution of lesions, the presenting signs and symptoms and considering that it has a short history of onset I would like to keep a diagnosis of Herpes Zoster (shingles) rather than dermatitis, as earlier suspected. I would like to start her on oral antivirals e.g either Valacyclovir or Acyclovir for a week. Topically she may use either mupirocin or fusidic acid cream twice daily. Oral antivirals are prescription medications and I advice you to kindly talk to your local practitioner for a prescription of the same.

Follow-up: What causes pain, burning sensation and swelling in the neck? 3 hours later
Thanks for the update.Please confirm me how much mg for tablet?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Remedy for herpes zoster (shingles)

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

In shingles, Valacyclovir is usually given in 1gm dose, thrice a day, for a week.
In addition she may take a painkiller e.g either tab. Ibuprofen or diclofenac, twice daily, for a week.
Topically she may use either mupirocin 2%cream Or fusidic acid 2 %cream, twice daily.
These are all prescription products.