What causes pain between ribs and ears?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: My 7 year old is having pain right between where her ribs meet. This morning she was complaining of the stomach pain and her right ear hurting. We took her to urgent care and she was treated for an ear infection and a fever of 102. The doctor prescribed her an antibiotic and sent us home. Her stomach pain is ongoing but seems to feel better for a little while and then start hurting again. We did give her children's pepto but it has not helped at all. Any suggestions.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Viral gastritis/ Stress induced gastritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

This seems to be a gastritis which is viral induced or it could also be a prodrome of watery diarrhoea/ stomach flu. She might start to have diarrhoea and vomiting. This sort of illness usually settles in 2-3 days. So do not worry. You may continue children's pepto.

I would suggest you to go to you paediatrician if she starts developing watery stools, feels tired or the pain continues to trouble her.

Meanwhile I suggest you not to give her chocolate or any other beverages which might increase loose stools and stomach pain like spicy substances. Give her more of curds, yoghurt and buttermilk.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad