What causes pain between elbow and shoulder?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My left arm has small muscle pain between elbow and shoulder. However, it gets much worse if I twist or turn my arm such as swinging a golf club, or many daily activities. First noticed several months ago. I placed ACE bandage around it which helps, but I am wondering the best way for this to recover.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tennis elbow likely.

Detailed Answer:
The pain between elbow and shoulder is likely to be related to tendonitis or inflammation. Most commonly it is caused by a tennis elbow or cubital tunnel syndrome.
You can help the improvement by-
1. Give adequate rest to the arm.
2. Apply cold therapy.
3. Get some anti-inflammatory medication prescribed from your orthopedician.
4. Immobilize the arm for a short period.
5. Neural stretching exercises are helpful under the care of a physiotherapist.
Avoid activities that require you to keep your arm bent for long periods of time.
If you use a computer frequently, make sure that your chair is not too low. Do not rest your elbow on the armrest.
Avoid leaning on your elbow or putting pressure on the inside of your arm. For example, do not drive with your arm resting on the open window.
Keep your elbow straight at night when you are sleeping. This can be done by wrapping a towel around your straight elbow or wearing an elbow pad backwards.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T