• question-icon

What causes pain below the sternum?

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi! I woke up with a pain beneath my sternum. it comes and goes and is not intense but worrisome. When I first woke up it was more intense but has settled down. It is directly under the lower ribs slightly on the right side of the middle.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I would like to know more about your concern:

- Is the pain triggered by deep breathing or body movements? This would indicate possible musculo-skeletal pain. In such case ibuprofen for some days, three times daily would help improve your situation.

- Did eating help improve your situation? This would indicate possible gastritis underlying your symptoms. In such case I would recommend trying an antiacid or omprezole.

But, I would exclude any cardiac disorders, because your symptoms are not characteristic of any cardiac disorders.

So, relax and don't worry about it!

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 18 minutes later
The pain is not triggered by any movement. I have acid reflux and take an inhibitor for it daily. I haven't eaten, yet, but it doesn't feel like it is in my stomach. When I press on the spot, I can feel the pain. I have a dance class later today and wonder if I should go?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the additional information!

The fact that the pain is triggered by pressure, indicates musculo-skeletal pain and inflammation, probably a wrong position during sleep.

For this reason, I recommend taking acetaminophen or ibuprofen.

Regarding the dance class, I would recommend avoiding straining physical activity, because it can trigger the pain.

You should have some rest instead.

Your situation will improve spontaneously. But as I mentioned, painkillers can help.

Hope to have been helpful!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist