What causes pain below the ribs on the right side?

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: i have abdomen pain which is on lower right side below ribs and it keeps shifting to lower, upper and backside . It does give relief if gas is passed. stomach also remains bloated.
thanks
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be Acid peptic disease.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Pain below the ribs on the right side could be due to Liver, gall bladder or stomach problems.

As Ultrasound abdomen is normal except for Fatty liver, Renal cyst ; major problems of liver and gall bladder are excluded. Normal colonoscopy rules out large bowel lesion. Therefore in this context bloating of stomach along with pain could be due to Acid peptic disease. I would order for an upper GI endoscope to evaluate this condition. If it is also normal, then the pain is due to musculoSkeletal cause.

In the interim I would start you on antacids three times a day along with low spicy diet. Restrict caffeine, beverages, alcohol and smoking if any.

Hope this helps. If you have any queries,I will clarify.

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad